Sunday, September 27, 2009

There Oughtta be Laws to Regulate Common Sense!

It’s a sad statement about human nature when there has to be a discussion about passing a law to prohibit sending text messages while driving. Common sense tells us that it’s dangerous to take your eyes off the road while you’re driving a car. Unfortunately, it’s very common for drivers to be distracted for multiple reasons – texting, dialing a phone number, talking on the phone, talking with one of your passengers, looking at something outside, eating, reading a map, etc. If we don’t have enough common sense to pay attention to our driving, maybe we should make it illegal to do any of the activities that distract us in our cars. The tricky part is that the people who act carelessly are not just endangering themselves, but they impact other people out on the roads. For that reason, I would support a law against texting while driving as well as laws requiring the use of hands-free cell phone devices when you’re driving a car. If it will save more lives, it’s worth it.

2 comments:

Marilyn Brant said...

Brett, I agree with you...but I'd even take it one step further: no cell phone talking, hands free or not. Why? Because it's not just the pressing of buttons that makes you take your eyes off the road. Your attention is diverted from driving if you're talking on a cell phone, even if you're able to keep both hands on the wheel and still look outside. And, while I won't go so far as to say we should ban passengers from our cars--LOL!--I know when I get into a dangerous traffic area, I always tell my passengers to give me a few moments of silence until we've moved beyond the tricky spot. I can multi-task at home but, personally, I don't feel comfortable doing it behind the wheel.

Brett said...

Thanks for the response, Marilyn! When I was a child and we went on family vacations, we would drive into a big city, and my dad would always say "OK, now I need everyone to be quiet and I need the radio turned off because we're coming into a city." My brother and I could never figure out why he needed it so quiet in the car, but now that I'm an adult, I can see the value in minimizing noise and distractions when you're driving in heavy traffic!