Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Fussing over Babies

I’ve always found it interesting that women tend to gush over babies, while most men I know don’t appear terribly interested in other people’s babies, even if they adore children. I’m sure there’s some innate baby-yearning in women that I’ll never understand. And obviously, not every woman in the world loves children, wants to have her own children, or gives a rat’s behind about other people’s children. But still…anytime a woman brings her new baby to the workplace for show-and-tell, you can be sure that a group of women will swarm around, coo at the baby, ask how much the baby weighed and how long she was at birth, and ask about the crib and stroller and feedings and all manner of other new mom questions. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…it’s just an interesting phenomenon. I enjoy babies and children myself, but I just don’t get all that excited about being around babies. There’s certainly that element in our culture that dictates that men shouldn’t show too much emotion, so maybe that’s why men opt out of the “baby circles” when they converge. Now, point me in the direction of a group that’s discussing the latest cute thing that their cat or dog did, and I’m there in a flash!

1 comment:

liz said...

i'm not a baby freak either, though I'd like to have one some day. (sitting at home on friday night commenting on your blog is not going to get me there...) i think there's at least a small amount of social pressure for us to coo over babies-- if we don't, it's like we're dissing the mom. many of my friends have admitted to me that they never had a 'baby thing' until they had their own. i get much more excited over the age where they're figuring out the power of speech.